Versailles UMC

210 N. Monroe St.       Versailles, MO 65084     (phone) 573-378-4042   (fax) 573-378-4023

A Methodist Church was organized during the Civil War era in 1862 in the Old Bogar (later Bethel) School of southwest Glensted.

Around 1880 Joe Milburn founded the town of Glensted, MO. Just after Glensted was founded the congregation built a church on a plot of ground donated by O.J. Harrison. Rev. J.F. Hogan preached the first sermon in that church in May of 1886.

In 1903, while Rev. B.A. Knight was pastor, the congregation decided to build a bigger church to meet the needs of a growing membership. The old church was torn down and the current church building was erected and dedicated on June 24, 1904. Money was then raised to buy a bell for the belfry and that very same bell is rung each Sunday morning as services begin.

The Glensted Church shares a pastor with the Versailles United Methodist Church and for many years only held worship services on the first and third Sundays. Since 1999 worship services have been held each Sunday year-round.

Church traditions continue as Glensted hosts a Gospel Sing under the sycamore tree each July and The Lord’s Acre Dinner and Sale each September.